My next post was supposed to be about something called "The Balloon Theory." But it was also supposed to be posted ages ago. I've been putting it off for a variety of reasons. Partially, it was because I thought there may be some other issues I should discuss first. Also, it was that I started to question my theory all together. And lastly, it was because the last few months have been crazy-busy. So finally, I made a decision: Screw the Balloon Theory. I'll tell you about that sometime later down the line. Right now, we're gonna talk about something a little more fun, and a little more out there (and a little less likely to make God displeased with me). I'm gonna talk about dreams...
Now, as always, I have done no research for this discussion. I am not speaking as an expert. I have no special knowledge whatsoever. I'm essentially talking out of my ass... But this is what I think nonetheless...
Regardless of what your stance is on the so-called meaning of dreams, people tend to be fascinated with them either way. Many people believe that dreams have specific meanings, either because your unconscious mind is trying to tell you something (more likely), or possibly because another force altogether is trying to tell you something (less likely). Or others believe that dreams are nothing more than a random concoction of images, thoughts, and memories that we experience while the mind sorts things out (most likely).
Now, from the previous paragraph, you undoubtedly have an idea of which of those ideas I subscribe to, but no matter which one you think I believe in, you're most likely wrong... unless of course you think that I believe in all three. Then you would be exactly right. I do believe in all three, and I'll tell you why.
We'll start with the easiest, and most likely. If you remember your dreams very often, then you can probably recognize when your dreams are throwing up images and thoughts that you've been contemplating, things that you've done recently (especially in the day directly previous), and people you've seen. Of course, sometimes something that seems completely out of left field gets thrown in too, but hey, the mind is a very weird and complicated place. It doesn't exactly require an explanation for why one would think that this is completely random and meaningless. I think it often is. Especially the more lucid we are. Lucid dreams are great, but I doubt they often contain much in the way of real meaning. Although, on the occasions when they might, I would venture to say that it would be...
... Your unconscious mind trying to tell you something. I don't really consider this theory to be in conflict with the previous theory actually. If you've been thinking about certain things, and your mind is throwing images and thoughts that you've been thinking about at you in your dreams, then it stands to reason that you might come upon some self-inspired wisdom (or stupidity; it could go either way really) in your dreams. You might discover how you really feel about something, or your mind might just tell you what you really want to hear. I think that this does happen. I think that it's relatively common, but it happens together with the previous theory and as I said, could lead to stupidity just as easily as it could wisdom. I say take any revelations that come from this kind of dream with a grain of salt.
And by and large, I would say that that pretty much covers it with our dreams. Most dreams that we remember are probably going to fall into one or both of the above categories. But does that mean I think that dreams of a more "prophetic" variety are impossible? Well, no. But I think that there are a lot of other issues that come along with that...
Just for starters, any of us who are Christians at least, should immediately be able to say that we believe that prophetic dreams are possible (even if we don't believe such things are still had today). We should have to look no further than the story of Joseph for biblical confirmation on that kind of dream. The only thing about that is that the modern church of Christ (I'm going to talk about the CoC since its the one that I know; though I know that there are many Christian churches today who believe that this still happens, and if that includes you, or you're not a Christian at all, feel free to skip ahead to a more self-relevant paragraph...) does not believe that such gifts are still bestowed upon people these days. It is the church of Christ's belief that gifts such as prophesy, healing, and speaking in tongues (something else I could go on about, and will one day...) went out when the Word of God became complete and "perfect."
Now that's not something I want to go into more detail with in this blog (though I will in the future), and neither is where I'm taking this (cuz that's a bigger topic too), but I will touch on that and a few things... Now, personally, I believe that the way God works, if something was ever possible for a person to do, then it's still possible for a person to do. Personally, I think that when God gave people gifts back in the day, that was God opening something up inside people that was already there, but that they lacked access to before. I believe that God no longer just opens up those doors for us, but I still believe the potential is locked away somewhere in there, so it's possible to touch upon it, even if only by accident. Again, my views on that and how God works in the world are a matter for another blog, but hopefully that quick overview will suffice for this particular topic.
So I'm going off the idea here that there is potential for "prophetic" dreams inside the mind. Now, that still means nothing if no One is sending us prophetic ideas, which I've already stated I don't believe anyOne is... What I am saying, however, is I believe the mind has the potential of going beyond the physical world, connecting to a higher dimension (again, a whole other bag of snakes... its seriously going to be a challenge to try to explain all my views on things, especially since I dont' know how to do it in order...). Now, theoretically, that higher dimension, as well as being the "location" of the so-called collective unconscious, is beyond the limitations of time as well as space. And if all that is true, then what I'm saying is that there is a time when we are deep in sleep that our mind may connect to a place that could not only theoretically interact with other minds, but could also glimpse the future.
Now, I think that this happens in such a deep state of sleep that we never remember it regardless, BUT our unconscious mind does remember, and as a result, when it's throwing up thoughts and images that it has recently visited or contemplated (do you see where I'm going with this?), it might be conceivable that among those thoughts and images might be something that is out of the future, or out of another mind altogether... theoretically...
I dont' know if all that makes sense to anyone else, but that's what I think in a nutshell... It's also, by the way, where I think deja vu comes from. Maybe anyway. I think that deja vu may sometimes be the mind subconsciously recalling something that it's seen before in the unconsciousness...
The really funny thing is that while this theory is more easily bought by nonreligious people, it actually fits in with Christian ideas the best. I just think we Christians are typically too unimaginative to see it. Anyway... that's the short-version of my theory on dreams. If you have any questions or comments, please - by all means - leave them... Apart from that, I have only to say: That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!
The Hot Topic - Thoughts on the Zimmeman case
-
So It seems these days everyone is talking about the Trayvon Martin
ruling. I have really been listening and contemplating both sides of the
argument and ...
13 years ago

I agree
ReplyDelete